When Mercury Retrograde shows up do you get that ugh feeling? I know I definitely have. There’s a lot of fear and opinions that swirl around Mercury retrograde, which can feel overwhelming or confusing.
Sure things can come up during these periods — maybe communication can be a little funky, we get in dumb arguments with our loved ones, scheduling mishaps happen, our electronics may get glitchy at times or travel may have some speed bumps. I do think it’s a good idea to avoid signing contracts and making big purchases during these periods.
However, the reality is we have our lives to get on with and retrogrades happen regularly. Just Mercury goes retrograde three to four times a year for a period of 3ish weeks, with shadow periods (where you feel the effects of it before and after it actually goes retrograde). These shadow periods can add on another 3-4 weeks each round.
With all this being said, knowing this stuff is only helpful if it helps empower us in our lives, helps us be more intentional, or infuse some magic into the mundane. Astrology shouldn’t cause stress. Rather it should bring us closer to our natural cycles and the magic of the mystery.
In this spirit, here are some practical ways to utilize Mercury retrograde and really use the time to your advantage.
- Declutter and clean out your house. Get rid of what feels stagnant and what doesn’t bring joy.
- Identify all borrowed items you have (books are often a big one for me). Read, finish using them, do what you need to do to be able to return them. Give them back to their owners.
- Revisit your dreams and journals. If you write down your dreams, or keep a journal, this makes it easy. If not, no worries. Reflect on themes from the past few months that you have been working with.
- Any phone calls, messages, emails, that you’ve been meaning to get to? Attend to those during this time.
- Items to return to the store? Do so.
- Have you been working on a creative project? Spend some time going back over what you’ve done to reassess, celebrate, make any adjustments.
- Look at your routines and daily practices. Which are still serving? Any that you’re not feeling fully behind and need adjustment?
- Research, gather your ideas, compile them. Strengthen your foundation on any creative projects you’re working on.
- Brain dump all to-dos and projects you’ve been meaning to get to. Break larger projects into small steps. Having these float around in our minds pull at our energy. Getting them out on paper helps clear up space. Make a plan to tackle them.
- Do you have a website or online community? Clean up the back-end. Reassess what still feels in alignment and what doesn’t. Freshen the copy and content.
Overall, Mercury retrograde periods are not about pushing and taking a lot of forward action.
Rather, rest and settle into the knowing that by intentionally taking this time to review and freshen you’ll come out of it much more clear, invigorated, and inspired.
Think of it as an energetic clearing and taking inventory. Don’t worry about doing. Enjoy the intentional pause.